'The Avenues'

In 1926, part of the southern slopes of the Charmandean estate was sold off to Charmandean Estates Limited, who, in 1926, started building and planning First, Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Avenues. 

One of the original newspaper adverts from 1929 advertising the first houses to be built, believed to be in First Avenue: 

 

An old map from 1932, showing building starting in the South-Western corner of the Estate.

Citation: www.old-maps.co.uk, showing Worthing  

 

In 1936 the building firm who were developing the Estate, Frank Sandell & Sons, offered 5 acres of land on the north side of Second Avenue to Worthing Borough Council, 'for use as a public open space so long as football and cricket were banned'

Citation: Worthing Sentinal / Worthing Herald.

The below 3 extracts of maps from c.1953, shows how building processed slowly over the years with particular plots selected - note Third Avenue in particular.

Citation: www.old-maps.co.uk, showing Worthing  

 

The house adverts in the local press were correct, 'Architect Designed residences' - on initial glance it appears some houses are the same, however we believe each one is subtly different, however all the early designs from 1929 follow the same 'Arts and Crafts' style of building design.

Not all came with garages, in 1929 a garage was an extra £90!

 








Left is an advert for one of the houses in Charmandean, which has been kept with the house over the years. 

Thank you to the owner for contributing this to the site.


Note that there were 4 main styles of house at this time noted on the advert; 

Square type, 3 or 4 bedrooms, and Angle Type with 3 or 4 bedrooms.


The prices were between £1,450 and £1750!


 

 


We have been trying to find time to research the Worthing Library archives of Worthing Gazettes, and have found various property adverts from 1930-1934:









An original Advertisment from 

January 1st 1930, stating either off-plan houses or land for sale

A selection of adverts from the Worthing Gazette during 1934 (click to enlarge). We are hoping to obtain better quality copies soon.

Charmandean Estate taking shape, post-war, c.1945, with still much of the upper part of First Avenue yet to be developed.

The wooded section on the Eastern side of First Avenue, opposite the entrance to Longlands, was not developed at all until the late 1980`s.


The below photo is from the West Sussex Past Project and c.1944, it is looking North up First Avenue with Fourth Avenue on the right; apparently the house being built was owned for many years by Mr Dunhill of special tobacco pipes and luxury goods fame.

 : 








The original West driveway for Charmandean House ran from the Upper Brighton Road, & at the entrance was a lodge mentioned in the 1900 Convenyance map on the right.


When the houses in First Avenue were built, they were built on the East side of the original driveway, and residents have said in dry summer months sometimes the remains of the original driveway can be seen in their back gardens. More information on this in News



A interesting map from c.1959, showing Upper Brighton Road, partial First, and Second, Third and Fourth Avenues.

Longlands had not been built yet (another 4 years) and the East and West Entrances and driveways of Charmandean House are just visible in the top left and right corners.

The Development of Longlands

We believe that the remaining 18 acres land including Charmandean House was purchased by 'Charmandean Estates Limited' some time between 1959 and 1963, a company formed by nearby residents to protect their amenities.

The land was then sold on to a developer (1963?) for £70,000, with the provisio that it should be developed with 71 3/4 bedroom luxury homes selling for up to £10,000 each.

The total cost of the scheme was estimated at just over £500,000!

Citation: www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/mk4custompages/CustomPage.aspx?sectionID=4961

 

 

When Longlands was developed, and the house was demolished, it is currently not know what happened to the features of Charmandean House, such as the Stained Glass window from Broadwater Church and other items of historical interest. We know some of the features were recycled in houses in Worthing, such as Rectory Cottage in Broadwater. See News.

 

By overlaying modern day maps we can work out where the location of the original house would have been today, approximately where the 'ney' in Longlands Spinney, shown below:

 

When the Longlands Estate was developed after Charmandean House itself was demolished, we understand the builders didn`t want to build houses where the school pool was located (marked as Reservoir on the map, below left), hence the location of these houses in Longlands - hence the reason for the green space with houses set back from the road -  the location of the original pool marked in red.

We can also see from this comparison the location of Charmandean House, and how Longlands Spinney follows the approximate course of the original manor house driveway.


The line of Yews, mentioned in Charmandean - A History - which are indicated in the bottom of the map above, are still in the rear gardens of Longlands Spinney. 


Even after the House was demolished, and Longlands developed, some features remained until recently; in 2013 the original East Entrance gateposts remained until they were demolished.

The Eastern Entrance Gates on Charmandean Lane were a good example of stone scrollwork:  

Further photos showing the recently demolished Eastern Entrance Gates in Charmandean Lane: 

 Some sections of the flint Eastern boundary wall are also still standing and run alongside Charmandean Lane:

 

 Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us | © charmandeanhistory.co.uk 2012

 

 
free templates
Make a Free Website with Yola.